- Beware of mixing up possessives and contractions. Even if you know the difference between it’s (the contraction) and its (possessive), your fingers may not. Using the “Find” function of your word processor, run a search just for apostrophe marks to help locate and catch errors.
- Revising, drafting, and editing are closely related. In fact, most writers do not distinguish the three as they work. They do not simply draft once, revise once, and edit once in that order. They move back and forth among these processes frequently.
- Check out York University's short tutorial on reviewing and revising.
- Essay Editing - strategies for editing such as:
- taking a strategic approach to editing your essay
- assessing the effectiveness of the introduction, body and conclusion of your paper
- identifying and fixing common problems in language use, citation formatting, grammar and punctuation
Enhance your Wellness
Check your work, and check your mind! http://www.mindcheck.ca/ is a website for young adults in BC to check out how they’re feeling and quickly connect to mental health resources and support. How does your alcohol and drug use compare to others’? What should you look for if you’re concerned about mood or stress? How can you help a friend who doesn’t quite seem themselves? Find those answers and more!
For more wellness resources, see https://services.viu.ca/counselling/health-wellness-resources.