Watch and Learn
This instruction video presents advice for designing effective slides for academic presentations.
If you do not see the video, please click on the link to view it in a new window or tab (you will leave this page):Effective Slide Design for Academic Presentations
- Make sure the key points are large enough for the audience to be able to read or see them.
- Summarise key arguments/results for the audience.
- Point to graphs and diagrams when talking about them to assist the audience.
- If working in a group, plan before hand who is saying what.
- Think through your message before preparing it. Read the next section on giving oral presentations.
Enhance your Learning
This video covers some of the most common pitfalls in creating a PowerPoint presentation, and how to avoid them.
If you do not see the video, please click on the link to view it in a new window or tab (you will leave this page):Use PowerPoint for Good & Not for Evil
Enhance your Wellness
When you feel stressed, how do you respond?
- Identify the stressor and consider whether and how it can be changed. Maybe you can better schedule your time or say no to a request that is more than you want to take on.
- Consider how you can change your thoughts and perspective toward the stressor. Would it be helpful to change some expectations or share your experience with others for a reminder that you’re not alone?
- Manage your body’s stress response through deep breathing, meditation and other relaxation practices.
For an app that teaches you to relax and take charge of challenging situations, download Mindshift http://www.anxietybc.com/resources/mindshift-app.
For more wellness resources, see https://services.viu.ca/counselling/health-wellness-resources.