Maintaining student status
Once you’ve started your classes at VIU, you must maintain a “C” Grade Point Average (2.00 GPA) or higher over the Fall and Spring semesters combined. It doesn’t matter how many courses you are taking: it is the overall GPA for the Fall and Spring semesters that is reviewed.
For example, if your GPA in the Fall semester is less than 2.0, but your GPA in the Spring semester is high enough that your overall GPA for the two semesters is at least 2.0, you will not be placed on probation. However, if you only take one course in either the Fall or Spring semester and receive a grade below a "C", you will be placed on probation.
Probation is not meant to be a punishment but rather it is meant to alert you to the seriousness of your situation and give VIU a chance to offer you further support. Probation does not impact a student’s ability to register in courses or access services. Probationary students need to earn a combined GPA of at least 2.0 (“C”) on all courses attempted over the next year’s Fall and Spring semesters in order to have their probation lifted.
If you do not achieve a GPA of 2.0 or better during your probationary year, you will be placed on Academic Suspension for one year, which means you will not be permitted to enrol in academic programs at VIU for the following academic year (excluding summer session).
If you wish to return to your program or change to a new academic program after your year on suspension, you must submit a new application to the program of your choice. You will need to submit your application during your suspension year to ensure you meet the application deadline and are able to return to VIU immediately following your suspension year. Check the Program Availability List for application deadlines and other information.
The good news: There’s help available!
Vancouver Island University has a variety of supports available to assist students in achieving academic success. You can contact an Educational Advisor in the Advising Centre at each of our campuses.
NANAIMO’S ADVISING CENTRE
Building 200, 3rd Floor
Call: 250-740-6410 or 1-888-920-2221
- Educational Advisors are available Monday through Friday by appointment, and drop-in advising is also available
- International students can check here for more information on International Advisors.
- Click here for the VIU degree advisors' contact information
- You can also sign up for Student Success Coaching during your first semester of being placed on Academic Probation. Check out their information here on Learning Matters.
- Located in Shq'apthut - A Gathering Place, Services for Aboriginal Students is a community-focused, student-centered team that provides support to Aboriginal students academically, socially and culturally throughout their educational journey here at Vancouver Island University. Please drop by our office and find out how we can help you reach your goals in your home-away-from-home here at Shq'apthut.
COWICHAN’S ADVISING CENTRE
2011 University Way, Main Floor next to Welcome Centre
- Educational Advisors are available Monday to Friday by appointment
- Drop-in advising for quick questions is available, please check this website for hours.
POWELL RIVER’S ADVISING CENTRE
100 - 7085 Nootka Street, Room 118
Email: Click for contact information
- Appointments can be made by calling the number above or emailing one of the advisors