Once the semester begins you have the opportunity to try out your schedule and see how it works for you. You may want to change your course selections or you may want to increase or reduce the number of courses you have selected. The first two weeks are sometimes referred to as the "Add/Drop Period", but it's always best to make these decisions as early as possible so that you can settle in and get moving forward. It is very unusual to add a course after the end of the second week.
There are a few things to consider when adding or dropping courses.
- will you have to pay for it if you drop it?
- is there room in it if you want to add it?
- is it too late to drop without academic penalty?
Below is a table summarizing the processes with additional notes. If you are unsure about these processes, please contact the Registration Centre.
You can add a Fall semester course until Tuesday, September 11, 2018* through your Online Student Record or in person at the Registration Centre.
You can add a Spring semester course until Monday, January 14, 2019* through your Online Student Record or in person at the Registration Centre.
*After this date, you must obtain permission from the instructor and use a "Request for Late Course Registration" form, available from the Registration Centre.
If you register for a course and then decide you don`t want it, you must officially drop it through your Online Student Record or in person at the Registration Centre. Please take note of these important deadlines if you are considering dropping a course:
1. The last day to drop a Fall 2018 semester course without having to pay full fees for it is Monday, September 17, 2018. If you drop a course after this date you will be charged full fees for it.
2. If you drop all your Fall 2018 semester courses between Tuesday, September 4, 2018 and Monday, September 17, 2018, you will be assessed a fee of $200 for the semester.
3. The last day to drop a Fall 2018 semester course to avoid getting an `F` grade assigned is Monday, October 29, 2018.**
4. The last day to drop a Spring 2019 semester course without having to pay full fees for it is Friday, January 18, 2019. If you drop a course after this date you will be charged full fees for it.
5. If you drop all your Spring 2019 semester courses between Monday, January 7, 2019 and Friday, January 18, you will be assessed a fee of $200 for the semester.
6. The last day to drop a Spring 2018 semester course to avoid getting an `F` grade assigned is Friday, March 1, 2019.**
**Under documented exceptional circumstances you may request a late withdrawal after this time. Late Withdrawal requests will be considered for up to one year after completion of the course. Please consult the Registration Centre for further information.
Change from Audit to Credit OR Credit to Audit
Before the semester starts, you can switch to audit by simply making this request at the Registration Centre. Once the semester starts, you must obtain written permission from the instructor to switch from credit to audit or audit to credit. This written permission must be submitted to the Registration Centre for processing.